Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Some Good Einstein Quotes

My favorite:
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

A close second:
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."

A reflection of how his mind works:
"My power, my particular ability, lies in visualizing the effects, consequences, and possibilities, and the bearings on present thought of the discoveries of others. I grasp things in a broad way easily. I cannot do mathematical calculations easily. I do them not willingly and not readily. Others perform these details better."

The importance of focus and humility:
"The only way to escape the personal corruption of praise is to go on working. One is tempted to stop and listen to it. The only thing is to turn away and go on working. Work. There is nothing else."

"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer."

Regarding education:
"It is not enough to teach a man a specialty. Through it he may become a kind of useful machine but not a harmoniously developed personality. It is essential that the student acquire an understanding of and a lively feeling for values. He must acquire a vivid sense of the beautiful and of the morally good. Otherwise he -- with his specialized knowledge -- more closely resembles a well-trained dog than a harmoniously developed person."

"The development of general ability for independent thinking and judgment should always be placed foremost, not the acquisition of special knowledge."

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."

"Wisdom is not a product of school but of the lifeling attempt to acquire it."

Too Good to Ignore, (and something to think about for one's self):
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

A hint as to where to begin to comprehend and apply this quote:

  • What are the unarticulated and unconscious assumptions that create my mental model?
  • Am I practicing disciplined and open lifelong learning?
  • Do I believe absolutes or am my beliefs adaptable and responsive to context and environment?
  • Am I evolving in developing the layers of my understanding and conscious reflection as I age?

No comments:

 

|